america fundraisers logo

You can track Phil by clicking on the date below. The map generated by the SPOT gps unit will come up and pinpoint where he sent his message from.

GoodSearch: You Search...We Give!

Follow Phil's progress as he takes his three horses on this epic record setting 7500 mile pack ride!

Trail along with Phil through Colorado this August and learn a little about the area he goes through as well as read about some of his adventures.


The take off was great, everything worked well. America Fundraisers will continue to look for kids as we travel and get the children qualified for financial assistance. Families can do that by contacting America Fundraisers, Inc. Attn: Clyde Crandall, 1110 Five Mile Road, Boise, ID 83713. This fundraiser, I anticipate will take a year and half and possibly longer. As I travel, Iíll journal things that happen on the road, sometimes people I meet and things that happen to us. Iíll talk about some training things, some history of the areas that I go through, and issues that come up along the way. Everyday is a new day when youíre out here, weather, terrain, food, water, and not knowing where youíre going to stay that night. You have no choice; you accept what happens to you


Sunday: Getting Started

Chip is my main horse, I rode her last year almost 2000 miles, and she knows what sheís doing. Pepper, I started last year and rode her from Burns, OR to Lewiston, ID. This year I have a new one, his name is Apache Double Lane. I havenít started Lane under saddle. I hope to do that after this trip, but for now heís one of my packs. Like young horses do, he tends to be a little pushy. He tries pushing the other horses, nipping at them. He settled down some this week. What Iíve done with him this week, based on his problem, nipping the other horses, I muzzle him. The first time he nips another horse, I muzzle him, and he stays muzzled half the day. If I take the muzzle off and he nips at again as we get going, I muzzle him the rest of the day. The muzzle allows him to graze and drink but he sure doesnít like it. When Iím getting horses started like this I avoid a lot of traffic. They still have traffic, but not city traffic. When I have to ride along the highway, when possible, Iíll ride facing the traffic. If I have a horse that is worried about it and gets panicky, I stop and position them so they donít get hurt. When youíre on a long distance ride like this, or any ride, itís a constant job keeping everybody safe and healthy.


When I talk about training, I talk about it terms of ten words. They are feel, timing, and balance. Ray Hunt coined these words in his book ďThink Harmony With HorsesĒ. Mind, Body, and Spirit; Tom Dorrance, Ray Huntsí mentor, coined these words in his book ďTrue UnityĒ. The last four words are mine; Love, Respect, and Trust with Leadership. From my perspective, I wouldnít have it any other way.


Sat down for the day. Iím asked sometimes, do I ever have doubts about doing these long distance rides. Answer: Yes! But Iím driven for the kids, I love my kids. Most people have no idea how sick these kids are and how much they need help. Their parents sometimes go through bankruptcy and divorce. The kids go through depression, in their early years and drop out in their teens. Theyíre stuck in hospitals undergoing tests when all they want to do is be able to play with their friends or go on a date.


People ask: Why do you do this? Answer: I got cast here, and I love my job, if you can call it a job. I get up in the morning, often times before the sun. I try to be on the road by 7:00 am, I try to have a place to stay by the middle of the afternoon, whether it be a front yard, a haystack or under the stars in the mountains. I seldom get enough to eat, a shower, clean clothes or experience the comforts of home. I experience what I am, having been around horses beginning at five years old, shoeing and training horses my adult years, getting a chance to meet people across the country and help sick kids


Iíd like a dog, one that can keep up. I enjoy Corgis, the sixth smartest dog, but they just canít keep up. I think it has something to do with the length of the legs. Three rides ago, we inherited a corgi; I had no idea what a corgi was, what a dog! She was not only a great companion, but Short Stop won the hearts of everybody and was a celebrity by the age of five months. We lost her to rat poisoning, sheís buried at The Run Around Ranch in Chesterfield, VA with her ďChristmas giraffe. Her headstone reads ďIn Memory of a Faithful Friend and CompanionĒ set at the base of her butterfly bush.
This past year, I came into Missoula, MT and inherited a corgi. Most of the time, I just call him Short Dog. He was a ďshowĒ dog , he had no idea where he was going when he got in the saddle with me, 450 to 500 miles later we were at home in Idaho. He sure likes his hugginí and loviní.


I could see the mountains in the distance, still covered with snow. Itís cool at night, actually cold. Iíve got my union suit on and weíre going into the ďCraters of the MoonĒ. The Craters of the Moon is a lava bed miles wide. I donít know anything can live out there; you certainly canít walk across it, even in your best hiking boots. There are holes in the rock, deep and dark.


I stopped to camp, not far from a small lake, after watering Chip, Pepper, and Lane. I filled my water with my water purifying pump. Laneís working hard and is ready for a break. Iíll get him into Arco, Idaho and give it to him. He is not used to doing this, and he is stressing a little bit with the traffic. Most people donít understand I would like it if they would slow down and move over, with the length of two pack horses, they could have one in the drivers seat with them.

Came into Arco, ID.

Pepper needed a front shoe so I went to breakfast then came back and put a front shoe on her. I met George, he works for the city. I brushed the horsesí tails out and George brought a bale of hay over, so I fed them good and theyíve been eating, sleeping and relaxing for the day-taking it pretty easy. Iíve been checking where I go to next, itís Lowe?

Itís not Lowe,
itís Howe and

Howe is at the intersection of 33. I turned there and went about 7 miles and hit the intersection of 22. I left Howe this morning, Iím about 12 miles out, I sent you a spot message about 4:00. I got everybody lined out. I have a cup of coffee, got the coffee pot on. Itís trying to drizzle, it sprinkled a little bit but itís pretty broke up so I donít think itís going to do anything. Iíll go around and Iíll doctor a little bit. They had a chance at water; theyíll be thirsty in the morning.

Iím sat down in open range,

Iíve got my tent up, got the horses lined out, and everyone is doing okay. I watered them at a cattle water trough, just before I found camp, that was about 4:00 oíclock this afternoon and I hear the coyotes howling-weíll get up and hit it in the morning. I brushed everybody down, getting ready to go to bed-had my coffee. Itís about 7:30-quarter to 8:00.


this morning I hobbled Chip out and turned the others loose and she got upset and took me for a look. They went about a mile up the field; they were in a fenced area and couldnít get to them. By the time I had walked back, they were back and on the other side of creek where I was camped, they ran down my side of the creek about a mile and Jack Williams, on a four wheeler came back to where I was and ran me down to where the horses were at so that I could catch them. We discovered a punctured artery on the inside of Lanesí right front leg up high. I did some emergency first aid; hit the 911 on the spot unit and help is on the way. Its 12:27 right now, had Jack not come and got me, I would have not found it until later-I sure appreciate Jackís help.

I hit the 911 on my SPOT unit and help was forthcoming. It was a good thing I had my SPOT unit because I had no cell phone service for 30-40 miles right there.

WJ vet service of Terreton, ID came out and gave Lane a shot of antibiotics, a tetanus booster. Thank you to WJ, he donated his services.

Father's Day

It is Sunday morning, (fathers day) the wind blew all night last night any where from 25 to 35 miles an hour. I got up this morning, gave Lane his shot and turned him loose while both of the others are tethered. I have a shoe to put on Chip, Iíve been invited to breakfast, so will go have breakfast while Lane grazes. Iíll get organized today, turn them off one at a time to let them eat and water and get ready to take off in the morning.

Lanesí puncture on the inside of his left front is doing real well. The rancher has a place about 12 miles up the road he has a pasture and heís going to have water there for them and theyíll be able to relax Monday evening. Theyíll be able to run loose and eat, get fed up a little bit. Meanwhile I did some water down at the stream here, brought it to a boil and sterilizing his syringe and needle and give him a shot tomorrow as a prevention.

It looks like it could even rain today but with the wind blowing, you never know if it wouldnít blow over. I checked Chipís shoes and put a pair of front shoes on her this afternoon and moved my tent in out of the wind down off the knoll and turning each horse loose to graze and drink.

It is Monday morning;

the wind has finally quit blowing-gad what a break! Itís a blue sky; Iíve got Lane and Pepper off their lines grazing. Chip is tethered; sheís been out all night. Iím starting to pick up camp and its 6:30 in the morning. Iíve given Lane his shot and have the coffee on. Iíll pull bags and start packing.

I met a gal coming out of the campground today. She raises tiger mustangs in Stevensville, MT. I told her about the picture, went on down the road and found a spot and lined everybody out. Iím sleeping under the stars tonight and thereís water and will be quick and easy to get on the road in the morning. That lady gave me some crackers so Iím having crackers and chili tonight. Iím about 40 miles out of Leadore and Iíll try to put about 15 on tomorrow and the next day and then Thursday will be a light day.

June, 22nd, 2010

We did about 12 or 13 miles today, everyone is working well, I put Pepper out to where Iím setting the tent. Iím teaching them all to stand while theyíre getting unpacked, and unsaddled and get their leg boots off. I set the gear down, took her back and hooked her to the fence. I went and got Lane and brought him up to the same place. I unpacked him, unsaddled him took his leg boots off took him back and lined him out. He did excellent. I brought Chip up, unsaddled her, and took her leg boots off, so I have all my saddles in a stack. I took her back and lined her out, lined Pepper out, took their halters and neck straps off so theyíre all grazing. It decided just when I finished doing that to rain and hail. So rather than try to set the tent up in the rain, I took the other tarp and pulled it over everything piled up and Iím setting on it underneath, staying dry. Thatís about my day. The horses did excellent; theyíre learning to stand while you tack them, no pulling back.

June, 23rd, 2010

Okay, itís raining, Iím soaked, Iíve got the tent up the wind came up and I had to throw something in the tent to hold it down. Then lightening came down right over my head and I thought it was going to strike me it wasnít very far away. Iím indoors, the tent is set up and everything is anchored down. Iíve got all the packs, theyíre wet across the top, but theyíre inside with me and Iíve got a many over the saddles under the awning of the tent so everything should be dry there. What a day!

Everything went good on the trail today, everything went excellent, getting unloaded, getting packed. Everything rode even today, and they have the last several days, which is nice. Iíve got everybody lined out. They had water at noon; they wonít get water in the morning unless we find some. One last thing, my bicycle patch came off my thermarest air mattress. Let that be a lesson, you can not use a bicycle patch to repair your thermarest, you must get the proper patch equipment. I do have the patch equipment with me so when I get into Leadore, Iíll patch it. I also have a thermarest egg crate (no air) mattress, that wonít puncture. Thatís something I learned last year.

One last note, I like hobbling them out by their leg much better than tethering them out by what a used last year. Last year I used a neck strap, a two inch strap around their neck and it slid through the halter. Theyíre not getting tangled up like they did last year. They are rolling, itís a much better situation once they understand it. To do it the first time, I would put them on about a five foot lead, but I would fasten them on something that they couldnít get hurt if they hit, I would not do it with a t-post. I have cast aluminum stakes that I bought through Outfitters Supply in Montana; you have to pound them all the way in if not they have too much leverage. Donít expect them to hold in sand, I donít know; as I go along Iíll see if they hold in clay. I know they hold when itís dry but if itís wet, Iíll let you know.

Good morning,

Iím putting on my jacket this morning, thereís frost out there; frost on the tent, itís cool out there-very cool. Went by the Sacagawea Historical by Way, Iím running short on water, I took two cups of water and put in the coffee maker and made two cups of coffee, setting here having my morning wake up watching the antelope getting things organized. Right now Iím having my morning coffee.

Lane is learning, he got down and rolled and got the rope over his back and between his front legs. I got him untangled and heís back to eating.

Weíre going over Gilmore Summit, thereís a little breeze, not real cold, I put Pepper behind Chip and let the boy cruise in there at the end, give him a little break. Boy, two jets just came over head about a hundred feet up; we just about had a wreck. It never ceases to amaze me what goes on.


a pretty good day, short run. Pepper pulled on Lanes pack and caused his pad to shoot out the back. I had to stop unpack him and take his pack saddle off to put his pad back on and repack him. Chip ran she could see we were coming into town and she ran pretty hard, screwed things up.

Itís Friday morning,

Iím staying here at Leadore, Idaho for a few days. Will rest up, let the horses eat. Iím at the rodeo grounds, and next to it is a state park and they have showers. I was able to get cleaned up. Iíll plan to leave Sunday morning (tentative), one of the horses took a bite out of my tent, so when I get back from doing laundry and getting something to eat, Iíll patch that with my thermarest kit.

July 3, 2010

Please bare with me. I sent my first log tap to the office, but failed to give dates. From now on I will give dates so the logs can more easily be coordinated with the spot tracking logs.

Sat. 7/3/10

Sat down. Vaughn called me and came and picked up me and the horses.

Sun. 7/4/10

We rode in the Leadore Id. 4th of July parade. Had a great time. The parade route was packed. Hundreds of enthusiasts applauded as the announcer introduced and told about America Fundraisers. Inc and our mission. After the parade the town and visitors gathered for a huge barbecue and gathering.

Mon 7/5/10

Back on the road. Windy and cold. This area has the fastest weather changes. Chip, my riding horse is ready to go. Today is a 4 mile an hour day. Lane and Pepper are having a little trouble keeping the pace.

Tues. 7/6/10

We came into Jackson Mt. A very nice little town. A clean and touristy community. I am on my way outside of town to set up camp where the horses can eat and sleep.


I will be sat down here in Jackson till the Appaloosa Horse Club arrives on the 17th. of July.


Meanwhile I will camp. I have a coffee pot for morning coffee, powdered milk and granola for breakfast, beans and crackers for dinner.


I will replace Chips, Lanes, and Peppers shoes while we are sat down this week. I also have a load of laundry to do. One pair of pants, socks, underwear, shirt, and like the cowboys wore in the 1800's, a union suit.


I started to teach Chip to do a bow this morning. Chip is 17 years old, but acts like a 10 year old. I bred, raised, and trained Chip. We have lived together and taken care of each other a long time. She bowed in one hour lesson. I hope to teach her to lay down in case of bad weather.

July 17th, 2010

We arrived at the Appaloosa Club "Chief Joseph" ride this afternoon. I happened to see the vets truck and went over to talk to him. The vet turned out to be Dave Restabauch, the veternarian from Lewiston, Idaho. Last year when Pepper was injured in Lewiston, Dave showed up within 10 mins. and donated his veternarian services. Dave was my veternarian back in the early 80's when I lived in Lewiston. We're sending Dave an 8 x 10 autographed picture, like the one on our home page, for his office. With every $20.00 donation we would be happy to send you a picture just like this one. Here's what you need to do to receive a picture. Make your check payable to America Fundraisers, Inc., on a separate piece of paper, include your name, mailing address, and email address so that a reciept and picture can be sent to you. Your email address will Not go into a data base. Send that to America Fundraisers, INc. PO Box 53, Hagerman, Idaho 83332.